Archive for September, 2013
- RT @highlyanne: We can't really know this. RT @MichaelKodas: NOAA confirms this is a "1,000-year event" in Boulder http://t.co/rjjSo9fMWP … 2013-09-13
- "the longer a cow has been lying down, the more likely that cow will soon stand up," #ignobel 2013-09-13
- and "once a cow stands up, you cannot easily predict how soon that cow will lie down again " #ignobel http://t.co/wTHV63Yg7o 2013-09-13
- RT @mmoyr: Nice! RT @FQXi: Feynman Lectures on Physics now freely available online: http://t.co/VCgfPFQYky 2013-09-13
- RT @EricHolthaus: Nearly 100 hours on, the Big Thompson River is *still* within inches of its all-time record level. #ColoradoFlood http://… 2013-09-17
- RT @hmason: whoa, http://t.co/8WX8WNHSp6 is very useful 2013-09-17
There was a really bad hail storm a couple of weeks ago in Tübingen. Lots of cars are still damaged.
Here is a video taken by the owner of a local punting boat, who got his customers back to (more or less) safe shore just in time.
via Oliver Gassner
Some years ago, I helped a fellow student doing fieldwork for a day at the Experimental Lake Area (ELA) in northwestern Ontario.
It was a beautiful winter day, we used snowshoes to get to some weirs to get our samples. I remember that I was amazed that those weirs were heated so they would not freeze. I was also amazed about the big sampling network in a relevant real world setting.
In short, the ELA is a set of lakes that are heavily instrumented in various kinds of the water cycle. Hence, the area is quite large. The video below explains that there were some funding issues in the recent past, which seem to be resolved now. The video gives an overview, what the ELA is.
There is an interesting quote in the video that relates about the relevance of real world field work and resulting data: “the results from the whole ecosystem experiment typically were very different from what you would have predicted from small scale experiments”.
- Spuren eines Hochwassers aus dem Jahr 1342 ("Magdalenenhochwasser") noch heute in der Landschaft sichtbar: http://t.co/LvfzgIIgj8 2013-08-30
- RT @AdviceToWriters: Writing…keeps me from believing everything I read. GLORIA STEINEM #amwriting #writing 2013-09-05
- RT @helmholtz_de: … Hätte der Architekt vor dem Bau mal einen Astronomen gefragt! Hintergrund: http://t.co/odFsHguYRc (hk) 2013-09-05